I got a late start yesterday because I was out late the night before looking for a rare bird. I got on the water at 11 AM. Still had an ebb tide to chase until about 2 o’clock. The wind was already blowing hard from the west and it was a nice 12 nautical mile paddle to Skamokawa. I stopped there to pick up my sail. I realized that on the return trip if I had winds like this I could sail home! By the time I got my sail mounted, ate some lunch, and checked the charts and weather, the wind had kicked up to about 15 kn. I still figured I would go on to Rice Island until the wind blew so hard that it tore the clip off of my tow line. My kayak was on the inside, protected side, of the dock. That was enough of a sign to tell me to camp there, which I did, in a protected little grove next to the slough.
Today I got on the water much earlier and completed the journey to Rice Island in just three hours. My original plan was to spend one night camping and two days paddling on this trip, but once I got within view of the island I did an assessment of my supplies and remaining iPhone power and decided to camp one more night. The tides are better tomorrow morning for paddling back home anyway. Plus there most certainly will be some wind for sailing.
I dig this solo paddling. I was unsure that I would but I feel now like I could just keep going and that would be alright.
Now I get to figure out how to transfer photos from my camera to here. I took a couple of the Streaked Horned Larks I saw here today.
Next month I’ll go for four days. Can’t wait.